top 10 christmas films

So we're only a few days away from Christmas which means I am watching so many Christmas films. I spend so much of my time around every Christmas watching films and I've got to the point now where I always go back to the same ones! You may not agree with some of the films that I'm including on this list but it may give you some new films to watch for the festive season! 

At number 10 is Jingle All The Way. My boyfriend introduced me to this film last year and it's so funny! It's got Arnold Schwarzenegger in and it's about a dad who forgot to buy his son the best selling toy until Christmas Eve, and it's his journey to get his son this toy. I really like this film and it's a perfect film to give you a laugh at Christmas. 
Number 9 is The Nightmare Before Christmas. Many people may not class this as a Christmas film but I have loved Tim Burton for many years now and this was one of the first films of his that I ever watched. Although it is based in a town called Halloween Town, it's about Jack Skellington who is fed up of Halloween so decides to take control of Christmas. I think it's a really good alternative film compared to some more classic films and I watch this from October to December because it fits both Halloween and Christmas! 
One film that I have watched ever since I was a child was A Christmas Carol so this is why I have put it at number 8. I love A Christmas Carol because it is such a heartwarming film and really shows you what's important. There are many different versions of this film but I think my favourite is the 1999 version but I feel like I end up watching a different one every year. This film is based off of Charles Dickens' novel A Christmas Carol which I would also love to read one day! This film is about Scrooge who hates Christmas and acts horribly to all of his employees around Christmas time. He is then visited by 3 ghosts (of Christmas past, present and future) and the whole story revolves around whether he will change his ways. I just think it is a really heart-warming film that is perfect for all the family. Disney did also create their own version of this film to make it more child friendly. 
For number 7 is The Santa Clause, this is another film that I always used to watch as a child. I hadn't watched it for years until I did last year and I remembered how much I loved it. There are 2 sequels to this film which I also love and I think the first and third are the best ones. This is such a great family film and I wish I knew more people who know this film! Without giving too much of the plot away, this film is about a dad (Scott) who accidentally kills a man in a santa suit and is then sent to the North Pole. He believes it was a dream until over the following months he starts becoming Santa Claus. This is a great film and it is one where the sequels are just as good. 
At number 6, I would place How The Grinch Stole Christmas. This was a film that I got as a Christmas Present when I was about 8 and when I watched it I fell in love. It gives such a Christmassy feeling and the characters are so well thought out. If you haven't heard about this film then it's about The Grinch who decides to ruin Christmas for the people of Whoville until he meets Cindy Lou Who. This is a lovely film and if you've never watched it then I would definitely recommend you watch it this year!
A classic has come at number 5 on my list, this is Home Alone. Many people would put this higher than I have but I find that I never really used to watch it a lot when I was younger and I never really liked any of the sequels. If I watched them again now I may like them more but this is why I've put it here. Home Alone is the story of Kevin who gets left at home (alone) when his family go on holiday, there are then 2 burglars who he has to defend his house from. This is a really funny film and is a really classic film that everyone should watch at Christmas. 
Another one that many other people may put higher is Elf. I do love this film so much but I've put it at number 4 because I just feel like this has been overhyped! If you have never seen Elf then it is such a funny film and really puts you in the Christmas spirit! Elf follows the story of Buddy who was taken to the North Pole as a toddler and when he's grown up he travels to New York to find his father.  The whole film is so Christmassy and I really do love this film. Also, Buddy is one of my favourite Christmas characters ever! 
If you're not from England then you may have never even heard of this film. At number 3 is Nativity, I absolutely love this film because it reminds me of my childhood doing nativity plays and it just makes me feel so festive! This makes me feel so happy and warm and it's also extremely funny and I can watch it multiple times throughout the festive season! If you wanted to know more about this film then it is about a primary school teacher who is given the task of producing that years nativity. He then boasts against the rival school that Hollywood will be coming to see their nativity and it's the story of how they produce the nativity and try to convince Hollywood to come and see their show. It's a great film and I really love it. Personally I don't think the sequels are as Christmassy as the first but they are still really good films so definitely go and watch the first one! 
My second favourite Christmas film has to be Arthur Christmas. I watched this for the first time a few years ago and I fell in love with it! I think it just makes you really appreciate how much effort goes into Christmas and is a perfect family film. The film shows how it's able for Santa to be able to deliver all the presents around the world which answers a lot of questioning children's questions. This is such a lovely film and has such amazing characters, especially Arthur who really reinforces the love of Christmas and it always makes me smile at the end of the film.
At last but by no means least, my number one favourite Christmas film has to be The Polar Express. I absolutely love this film, there is honestly nothing that makes me feel more festive than this. I think the imagery in this film is beautiful and the songs are also beautiful and the characters really make you realise how much friendship and Christmas really do mean. The Polar Express is the story of a doubting boy who gets woken up on Christmas night by a train which is going to take him to the North Pole. Upon his journey of self-discovery he realises that the wonders never fade for those who believe. I just think this is the perfect Christmas film and I watch it so many times throughout December and me and my friend will always watch it together at least once a year because we are both obsessed with it! If you don't watch any of the other films from this list then please watch this one because it is so perfect to watch on Christmas Eve (I do this every year).
I really hope you have enjoyed this post and if you have any other films that you love to watch at Christmas then please let me know below! Also let me know if you watch any of these and enjoy them because I would love to talk to some of you about them! And have a very Merry Christmas!

bethany x

Comments