holiday tbr

Relaxing beach/pool holidays are the perfect place to do a lot of reading. I find that there is nothing better than sitting on a sun lounger by the pool and reading a book. If you have been reading my blog for a while then you would know that I have a passion for reading so I thought I would share with you my tbr (to be read) for my holiday to St Lucia. Whilst on holiday I tend to prefer light hearted YA books to read because they are just so easy and are you don't want to have to focus too much whilst you are relaxing on holiday.
The first book that I am taking on my holiday is Alex & Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz. This is a historical fiction based on the love of Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Schuyler that helped to inspire the musical Hamilton. The description says that the book is based in 1777 during the American Revolution, when the Schuyler grand ball is set to happen. This is where one of the Schuyler sisters meets Alexander Hamilton, a young colonel and George Washington's right hand man. However, Alex is a poor orphan which isn't the kind of husband that is expected from the highly esteemed Schuyler sisters, so the books follows the love that sparks between these two. If you know me, you will know that I love the musical Hamilton and have been wanting to read this book for absolutely ages now! I bought it in an offer on Amazon recently and have been so excited to get on holiday and start reading this.
The next book that I am planning on reading whilst on holiday is The Girls by Emma Cline. This book is based on the summer of 1969, where 14 year old Evie Boyd is desperate to be noticed and meets a group of girls incluing Suzanne who leads Evie to a decaying ranch. There isn't much to tell about what will end up happening in this book but I saw that so many people were reading it last summer and I heard so many amazing things that people were saying about it after reading it so I knew that I had to see what the hype was about. I bought this last winter and have been saving it as one of my summer reads so I'm really excited to get round to reading this.
A book that I am deciding to take on holiday is one that I have always chosen not to read. This book is Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, so many of you are probably shocked that this is a book I haven't read as it is a book that has been raved about non stop for the past few years. Fangirl follows the story of twins Cath and Wren, who are starting their journey off to university. This is where the twins tend to go different ways and Cath, who is extremely shy and would prefer to sit in her room writing fan fiction to going out like Wren now wants to. Now at university Cath decides she needs to open up to people and learn a lot more about love than she thought was possible. Every time that I have read the description of this book I haven't felt like I would enjoy it that much, despite how many people have enjoyed reading it. I recently found this book in a charity shop for £1 so I thought that I might as well get it and finally read it to see if I enjoy it as much as other people have done.
The next book I am planning on taking is Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman. Once again this is a book that I have heard so many raving reviews about over the past year and I have been wanting to both read this book and watch the film. This book is about a sudden romance between a 17 year old boy and a summer guest at his parents' mansion on the Italian Riviera. This has been said to be a new instant classic love story which means that I feel like I have to read it, especially as I have been told that people have absolutely fallen in love with the story.
Earlier this year I read Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda and recently bought Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli. This follows Leah who is originally introduced during Simon's story as one of his friends but she has a secret of her own that she is bisexual and is yet to tell any of her friends. As with Simon's story, Leah's story shows the struggles of going through the drama of high school with a secret and whilst falling for one of her friends. I loved Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda so I'm really looking forward to reading this book as well!
A book that I have been wanting to read for a while now is The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, I have heard so many amazing things about this book and the topics that it discusses. The Hate U Give is the story of Starr who watches her best friend be fatally shot by a police officer and how the world of her poor neighbourhood contrasts with her posh high school and she must think carefully about what she says, as it could change everything. I know that this book is also due to be made into a film so I really wanted to make sure I read this book before the release of the film.
I am also taking my Kindle on holiday with me and I have been slowly making my way through Jane Eyre on that because I really am wanting to read more classics. I have been reading this for a while now but it is difficult to focus just on classics so I like to break it up every now and then but I am hoping to get through the rest of this whilst on holiday as well!

I hope you have enjoyed reading this and that if you are looking for something to read then you may have got some ideas from this post! I am hoping to put up some more book related posts once I am back from my holiday as well so definitely let me know if that's something that you would like to see!

bethany x

Comments