a new year, a new start

Another year has gone and boy was it a crazy one! Without a doubt 2018 was my worst year but at the same time I have absolutely amazing memories from this year and also enjoyed myself so much. Something I love doing on this blog is sharing with you my reflections from the previous year and expressing with you what I want to achieve in this new year. 
Without wanting to sound too negative, I wanted to share with you some of the struggles I experienced this year and how it also ended up being an amazing year for me. I started off the year by losing my job, experiencing a long distance relationship, my mental health going massively downhill, a very bad breakup, moving away from home and even to the point of being hit by a car. However amongst all of this I travelled more than I ever have, I made so many new friends, I spent so much time in the summer with my friends, the World Cup was a massive part of my year as it was such a great few weeks of sun and happiness, I learnt to love myself, I started university after wanting to get back into education for most of the year and I am happier now than I have been in a very long time. Going travelling was definitely a highlight of my year and I know I never got to finish my travel posts but I promise at some point I will continue with them and get them all up for you! 

Also taking a look back at what goals I wanted to accomplish this year and the first one was going to uni and settling in well which I definitely think I have managed as I am still loving it!
I also wanted to go travelling more and I managed this as I went travelling around Europe and also went to the Caribbean this year!
In terms of reading more, I believe I have but unfortunately I wasn't able to achieve my reading goal for this year but I am definitely going to try again next year!
My next goal was to improve my mental health and this is something that I felt went on a bit of a roller coaster this year, the first half of the year I was in a terrible place mentally and went through some of the worst days I've ever had. However, over summer I began feeling so much better mentally and am feeling so much better now than I have in a very long time and if this is something you want me to go into more detail about then I will definitely do a seperate blog post on this because I am finally feeling that I can speak more openly about this.
In terms of my fitness goals for this year I am so proud of myself for the amount that I worked on my fitness as I went through a stage of regularly going to the gym and yes this has slipped since I've started university but I am hoping to get back on track in the new year!
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get back into photography as much as I had hoped this year, I got back into it quite a bit whilst travelling but wasn't as invested in it as I hoped.
Blogging I felt was another thing that fluctuated a lot throughout the year which meant I wasn't as regular as I had hoped but this is something else that I'm hoping to continue working on.
Once again, I failed with managing to pass my driving test because I didn't continue with my lessons as I had a lot else going on this year.

In terms of my goals for 2019:

1. I want to continue working hard at university and get into my second year with grades that I am proud of!
2. As I mentioned, I want to get back on track with my fitness as this year was a great year for me fitness wise and I have found that this is a great way for me to release stress and makes me feel great about myself.
3. I want to see my friends outside of university more, they have all been a massive part of my year and 2 of my closest friends attend the same university as me so I want to make it a goal to spend more time with those that I don't get to see as often at the moment, whether that means coming home for a weekend or going to visit friends at their universities!
4. I want to keep working on loving myself. As I have mentioned, my mental health went on a bit of a roller coaster this year but it resulted in me feeling absolutely great about myself as I spent more time on me and who I was as a person, rather than just how I fitted in to other people's lives. I have been feeling great for the second half of this year and this is definitely something that I want to keep working on as it has been a major part as to why my year has turned out so great!
5. I want to hit my reading goal this year! Once again I am going to set it to 50 books as I wasn't quite able to reach this in 2018 (I was less than 10 away) and now that I am at university studying English again, I'm hoping it will give me a chance to be more likely to reach this goal.
6. I want to get on better terms with my sister this year. We have a very fluctuating relationship and I believe I already try fairly hard for us to get on as I have always wanted to be close to my sister but I want us to end the year a lot closer as we are now both in our 20's so feel like we should be moving past any pettiness now.
7. I want to improve my blogging game as I always have so many ideas of what I want to post but I just never get round to doing them through judgement of what people might think about my blog and what I post but I really want to post what I want as this is the way that I will gain an audience similar to myself.

I hope you have enjoyed this post as I love being able to openly reflect on my year and look forward to the year ahead of us, especially as my 2018 was a bit of a roller coaster journey.

bethany x

Comments