ljubljana travel diary

Ljubljana is somewhere that I had never even heard of before I went travelling, however, this is actually the capital of Slovenia. This also turned out to be one of my favourite places as it was such a beautiful city. I know it's been a long time since I have posted one of my travel diary posts but I would still love to share my experiences and some of the photos from places that I have visited because travel is one of the things that I love to do!
 
The central square is such a lovely place to be. Whilst we were there, some form of family entertainment was there every day. Our favourite was definitely the bubble man as it just made it seem like such a lovely place and was so family friendly.
One of my favourite parts of Ljubljana was the Open Kitchen. This is an area just behind the central market which has so many different food stalls where you can try all sorts of different cuisines. I had this incredible vegan burger because I was so intrigued by the variations of colours that they offered, I also tried these ice cream rolls which were so fun to watch! I had a Kinder Bueno one which tasted amazing and you get so much for your money at all of these places. There were so many areas to sit around the Open Kitchen as well so I definitely recommend going here if you are visiting Ljubljana.
Ljubljana has a castle which I would also recommend visiting! It is such a lovely walk up to the castle but it's not an easy walk as it is very steep so be warned! I believe there is a cable car that can take you up to the castle if you are unable to do the walk but this is an extra few Euros. The views of the city that you get from the top of the castle are amazing and there's also a lovely cafe area in the courtyard where I sat for a while as it was such a lovely day when we visited. This is such a good thing to do whilst visiting Ljubljana as a ticket to visit is less than €10 so it is a really cheap thing to do.
Something that I really loved doing in Ljubljana was just walking around the river going through the city. There are such beautiful buildings and bridges in the city and I find that the evening is such a peaceful time to do this. There are many bars and restaurants located along the side of the river which is a lovely location to sit and enjoy the Slovenian evening.
Something a bit different that I would recommend visiting in Ljubljana is Metelkova. This is an area of abandoned military barracks which have been transformed into a place of artwork. If you do any kind of city tour of Ljubljana then I'm sure this will be included but it is only a 15-20 minute walk from the centre of the city. A lot of reviews will say not to visit here as it is unsafe but I felt perfectly safe walking around, I visited on a Sunday morning so it was very quiet until about 11am when more tourists started arriving but I think this is definitely somewhere you should visit as it is so interesting to look at all the artwork.

That is all for my travel diary of Ljubljana and I hope you have enjoyed it. I am hoping to start posting more travel posts again soon as I still have not finished all the places I went to whilst interrailing last summer and I am hoping to go to a couple of places this year also. Thank you for bearing with me on the blogs at the moment as I am very overwhelmed with the amount of uni work I have at the moment.

bethany x

Comments