books I read this summer

I cannot believe we are now in September already! This means that technically summer is over now and most people are going back to school etc. I thought that as summer was ending I would share with you what books I have read over the summer; I finished college at the end of June so this is between then and September. I didn't end up reading too much over the summer as I was working a lot and I wanted to relax a lot after revising for months on end but if you know me then you will know that I have a big bookcase full of books and a lot of them I have never actually read so I spent the summer reading through some of them.
The first book that I read of the summer was Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan. This is a psychological thriller about an agony aunt who receives a letter from a girl who has been missing for years. To be honest this was a bit dull in the middle of the book but once everything started unfolding at the end I did enjoy it. I felt that I couldn't really connect with any of the characters though which I feel is something that a lot of people have mentioned about this book. However, I would still recommend reading it, as I did enjoy it.
The next book that I read was the screenplay for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I love the wizarding world and had been wanting to read the screenplay of this for so long. Obviously, this didn't take very long at all to read and isn't exactly the most interesting read as I am not the biggest fan of screenplays and do prefer novels but I felt like I needed to read this and the cover is absolutely beautiful!
I read Holding Up The Universe by Jennifer Niven as last year I read All The Bright Places which is one of Jennifer Niven's other novels and I really enjoyed that so thought I would read this as well. I first heard of this book from Zoella last year and have been wanting to read it since. I finally picked it up this summer and I did really enjoy it. The book follows the story of Libby "America's Fattest Teen" and Jack Masselin who cannot recognise faces and how they progress through a year at high school. Personally, I didn't think this was as good as All The Bright Places but I did still enjoy it.
A very long awaited read for me is I Am Malala. This is the biography of Malala who, if you don't know, is a 20-year-old girl who stood up for education for all. Malala was brought to the attention of most people worldwide in 2012 when she was shot by the Taliban for the work she was doing. I found this such an inspirational read and I really look up to Malala for all that she has done and is still doing, especially as she is a similar age to me. This book took me a while to get through as it does tackle some very harsh subjects but I feel that it is important to know about what is happening around the world. She has also released an edition of this book suited at a more teen audience for them to understand which I think is great! Also, I would just like to add how impressed I am with how well Malala has done in her A Level results this year and getting into Oxford University, this girl is just incredible. 
After this, I did want a lighter read so as usual when I want something not too heavy, I turned to YA. I heard of History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera when Hannah (A Clockwork Reader) read this during the booktubeathon. I did then find out when purchasing the book that it was also in Zoella's book club this year. This is told from the view of Griffin, whose ex-boyfriend and best friend has just died and tells the story of how he deals with this. This was quite a typical sad YA that deals with lots of different topics and I did enjoy this and the message of moving on that it gives.
The last book that I read over the summer was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. This is a reread for me as I bought the 20th anniversary edition so I felt that I needed to read it again. I got the Ravenclaw edition as that is my house even though this was £2 more expensive than all the other houses?! Obviously this means that now I'm going to end up reading the whole series now as well!

That's all I read this summer and I know in relation to some people this isn't much but I wanted to chill a lot of the time that I wasn't working. I am always reading books though so if you wanted to see more of these sorts of posts then let me know as I will definitely do that! I also think I'll end up reading a bit more as autumn and winter comes because I like to get cosy and read when it's so cold out.

bethany x

Comments