poland travel diary

As some of you may know, I went to Poland all the way back in April and really wanted to post some of my photos on here as I found it such an incredible place and also visiting places such as Auschwitz were so shocking and emotional that I felt like I needed to share some of my images with you. I previously didn't have the time to edit the photos I wanted to and set up this post for you inbetween revision and I didn't want to start uploading when I knew I wouldn't be able to regularly. However, I now have some blog posts planned that I'm super excited for and I can't wait to start posting on here more.
So I really hope you enjoy looking through some of these photos and I have also uploaded a short vlog from my visit: https://youtu.be/UkP2ghW1gcM

The light that lit up St Mary's Basillica at night was so beautiful and it was just amazing to look at when walking through the square at night.



The horse and carriages that went through the city were absolutely beautiful and I felt so lucky to go on one of them.


The grand hall in the salt mines were so amazing, the work that must've gone into them was incredible and the fact that it is all made out of salt is almost unreal.
The entrance to Birkenau is something so chilling because it shows where millions of people entered not knowing what was going to face them. 
I also think the cart is something that is so dark as this is how people were transported into this cruel system and how it was kept going.
I find this image so darkly ironic as it reads 'risk of death' which is what so many people in Auschwitz were subjected to and how the people that ran the concentration camp had no care for these people.
The infamous sign of 'work makes you free' is something that is so chilling to see in real life.
 One of the hardest things to come to terms with whilst walking around the concentration camps is how everything has been left, including the rubble from the officers who tried to demolish evidence of what had happened and how really it can't ever be covered over.
Seeing the remnants of the sleeping areas was something that really struck me as it showed the massive scale that this was on and it never really hits you before, even when you know of the numbers because seeing it all is something completely different. Also knowing how this isn't how it was when the camp was liberated as it took weeks for people to actually be rescued reminds you that they kept having to live in this way.

bethany x

Comments